Wirework Suncatcher Elephants

Finished Suncatchers

The finished suncatchers

The summer before last I needed a unique, elephant related birthday present for my aunty.  I had used wire for a while and had an idea of what I wanted to achieve.  The actual making process was pretty organic but I was very pleased with the finished result.  After drawing an initial outline, I used 0.8mm wire for the frames and 0.4mm to wrap the detail with.  I added three coated beads, with saucer shaped spacer beads in between to catch the light and make mini rainbows.  Monofilament was used to hang them as the thread is transparent.

Elephant frame in progress, with plan

I used 0.8mm wire to make the frames. The weave on the legs and trunk were enough to catch the breeze and make the suncatcher turn.

One elephant almost finished, one still in progress

It took a while to wrap the 0.4mm around the frame, but it added sparkle as they moved.

Advertisements