I’d wanted to create something for a friend, which used gemstones and was personal but not jewellery. After some creative thinking, I came up this is window dangle.
Gemstones used were rainbow moonstone, garnet, carnelian, citrine, peridot, blue agate, iolite, amethyst, white quartz
The gemstone chips used were inspired by chakra stones and were garnet, carnelian, citrine, peridot, blue agate, iolite, amethyst and quartz. Rainbow moonstone was included at the very top and bottom of the dangle. The wire links were made using wrapped loops (much like rosary style links) from 0.4 gold coloured wire.
The finished suncatchers
The summer before last I needed a unique, elephant related birthday present for my aunty. I had used wire for a while and had an idea of what I wanted to achieve. The actual making process was pretty organic but I was very pleased with the finished result. After drawing an initial outline, I used 0.8mm wire for the frames and 0.4mm to wrap the detail with. I added three coated beads, with saucer shaped spacer beads in between to catch the light and make mini rainbows. Monofilament was used to hang them as the thread is transparent.
I used 0.8mm wire to make the frames. The weave on the legs and trunk were enough to catch the breeze and make the suncatcher turn.
It took a while to wrap the 0.4mm around the frame, but it added sparkle as they moved.
I started working with wire after watching Jewellery Maker channel (sky 655). I started off by making a seed bead chain bracelet. At the time I hadn’t realised that the 0.4 wire I had used to make the links wasn’t really strong enough for everyday wear. I spent whole weekends using the same technique with different sizes and colours of beads and ended up with dozens of unique necklaces.
Then I looked at wire work tutorials on YouTube and my skill set suddenly increased! One afternoon I made two rings, a herringbone weave link for a future design and a bracelet. I wore the labradorite ring for nearly a year before I caught it whilst squeezing holiday gear into the boot of the car and distorted the shape enough to want to cut the stone out and remake it.
The ring was made with 0.6 wire and a labradorite stone. The bracelet was made with 1mm wire coiled on a gizmo.
These were my very first attempts at making a wire ring and herringbone weave link.