I haven’t been crocheting for long, so I when I decided to make a baby blanket last September for an expectant friend, I knew I would need to combine all the little knowledge of stitches I had to come up with something that looked worthy of the time and effort that I would be putting in. I started out by using a random ball of white DK yarn from my stash, creating complete rows of the few but different stitches I already knew. Once I was happy with the practice block, I wrote down what I had done and this became my pattern to work from. I used single, double and triple crochet stitches (I’m not too sure if these are the UK or US names for them as I’ve read and watched tutorials from both regions). I also reflected the pattern either side of a triple stitch row and added a couple multiple rows to give a more interesting look and used baby weight yarn. I also added a couple of rows of single crochet around the edges to finish it off properly.
I must confess that the final blanket was completed after the baby arrived, which was early. It took many hours for me to make but it was definitely worth the effort.